Hampshire 233 and 0-0 (forfeited innings) drew with Leicestershire 84 and 26-1.

RAIN quashed Hampshire's push for victory against Leicestershire as a match dominated by the weather finished in a draw at the Ageas Bowl.

After the start of play was delayed by three hours due to a wet outfield, Leicestershire avoided the follow-on by one run after a last-wicket stand of 30 from Ed Barnes and Alex Evans helped their side limp to 84 all out in response to Hampshire's first innings score of 233.

With 22 overs of the day remaining, James Vince opted during the tea break to forfeit his side's second innings and dangle the carrot of a 150-run victory target in front of Foxes skipper Colin Ackermann.

But the Group Two cellar-dwellers refused to take the bait, blocking out 17 overs for 26 runs, losing only opener Sam Evans, who became Kyle Abbott's seventh wicket of the match in what was a typically wholehearted and high-class bowling performance.

The players shook hands at 6pm with four overs of the day remaining, shortly after a mild moment of controversy when Australian opener Marcus Smith looked to have edged Keith Barker to Liam Dawson at slip, but much to the chagrin of the all-rounder it was adjudged not to have carried.

Just 80.5 overs were bowled across the first three days before play finally got underway at 2pm with the Foxes resuming on 28-5 and needing another 55 runs to make Hampshire bat again.

Abbott bowled superbly for his 6-47 - his third successive five-wicket haul after the 11 he picked in the victory over Middlesex last week.

Hampshire, chasing their fourth win of the season, struck in the third over of the day when Abbott had Harry Swindells caught superbly by Dawson for eight.

Two further rain delays accounted for 11 more overs but Abbot and Mohammad Abbas, who took 3-19, continued to run amok in perfect bowling conditions as the visitors slumped to 54-9 when the South African quick ended the admirable resistance of Rishi Patel for 27.

However, the young fast bowling duo of Barnes and Evans dug in manfully as Leicestershire nudged their way past the follow-on target before Lewis McManus took a simple catch when Brad Wheal located the edge of Jones' bat.