A DECISION on plans to transform a huge industrial site overlooking the entrance to Southampton Water has been delayed until the end of August.

A consortium is seeking consent to build 1,500 homes and a raft of community facilities on land currently occupied by Fawley power station, which is due to be demolished to make way for the proposed development.

Civic chiefs had been due to decide the proposals by January 15 but were granted a three-month delay by the applicant, Fawley Waterside Ltd.

New Forest Post:

As reported in the Daily Echo, New Forest District Council and the National Park Authority (NPA) were given until April 30 to give their verdict on the proposed development.

However, a decision on the £1bn scheme has now been pushed back until August 28.

Steve Avery, executive director of strategy and planning at the NPA said: "Fawley Waterside has submitted a revised package of amended drawings to address certain concerns raised.

"We’ll be advertising them so people can have a look and have plenty of time to send their comments back."

Fawley Waterside has outlined proposals to build 1,500 new homes on the power station site, plus a 2,100-space underground car park and a huge amount of commercial and employment space.

The consortium says its aim is to create "one of the most beautiful small towns in England".

New Forest Post:

Artist's impressions show a Venice-style development with ornate buildings lining both sides of a broad canal running through the middle of the site.

Work on demolishing the power station began last October, when the turbine hall was destroyed in a controlled explosion. Other parts of the complex, including the 650ft chimney are due to come down over the next two years.

Many of the public comments submitted so far centre on environmental concerns, including the huge amount of traffic likely to be generated by the scheme.

Hampshire County Council and the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership LEP have unveiled an £8m project which aims to cushion the impact on the A326 and B3053.

Eight junctions are due to be upgraded to help the two routes cope with increased vehicle volumes.

There are no plans to turn the A326 into a dual carriageway but the planned upgrade will include improvements to several roundabouts, with the approaches and exit lanes being widened in a bid to speed the flow of traffic.

Cllr Rob Humby is deputy leader of the county council and the authority's executive member for economy, transport and environment.

He said: "Transport modelling has shown that many of the junctions are near to - or at - capacity. Traffic growth, even without the Fawley Waterside development, will result in many being under more pressure in the future.

"The improvements will help to reduce congestion and delay to below current levels."