A WOMAN was rescued by firefighters early today after a blaze broke out at her Hampshire home.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) said the fire started in the living room of a property at Holbury Drove, Holbury, just before 2am.

Neighbours raised the alarm after hearing a smoke alarm.

Crews from three fire stations in the New Forest - Beaulieu, Hardley and Hythe - rushed to the scene.

The female occupant of the property was rescued by firefighters and treated at the scene by South Central Ambulance Service before being taken to hospital.

Waterside Police tweeted: "Great work (by firefighters) this morning after smoke alarm alerted neighbours.

"Change the batteries in your alarms this weekend so you know you will be protected in 2020."

Hardley Fire Station added: "Domestic fire in Holbury. Casualty tended to be firefighters and handed over to SCA.

"A huge shout out to her neighbours who heard the alarms and dialled 999."