A MOTORCYCLIST died after a 88-year-old driver failed to spot him while turning across a busy New Forest road.

Stefan Konstanty died at the scene of the collision on the A35 Lyndhurst Road, outside the East Close Hotel, near Hinton.

Winchester Coroner’s court heard Maurice Reynolds, 88, collided with the 64-year-old, of Grand Avenue, Southbourne, while attempting to turn his car into the grounds of the now-closed hotel.

Mr Reynolds pleaded guilty to causing Mr Konstanty’s death by careless driving when he appeared before Southampton Magistrates’ Court in March.

As a result, he was fined £2,500 and banned from driving for 10 years, despite already giving up his licence.

The inquest heard Mr Reynolds, who had a history of eye problems but was at the legal standard required to drive, had been driving in the direction of Lyndhurst in his silver Honda Jazz and turning across the carriageway at around 10.10am on July 3 last year when the collision took place, causing multiple injuries to Mr Konstanty that proved fatal.

Reynolds was rushed to hospital with serious injuries to his head, which have since left him struggling to hear.

Reading from a police report, collision investigator Tony Reading said one witness, Amy Crosley, described Mr Reynolds’s driving as “erratic”. He added that he had been “braking unnecessarily” and “weaved across the central line”.

However, the inquest also heard it was likely Mr Konstanty was speeding.

Mr Reading said he could not work out the speed other than that he was going 50% faster than other motorist on the road, who said they were driving at 50mph on the 60mph road.

Mr Reading said by that calculation, Mr Konstanty would have been driving at around 75mph. He added that the collision would have happened whether or not Mr Konstanty was speeding.

Recording a conclusion of death due to a road traffic collision, senior coroner Grahame Short said: “I find that [Mr Konstanty] was probably driving over the 60mph speed limit.

“[Mr Reynolds] planned to turn right into the hotel car park and I accept he indicated. When he was interviewed, Mr Reynolds admitted he never saw the approaching motorcycle, although I find it was there to be seen.

“Even if the bike had been had been driving more slowly, it would have still collided with the car.”