POLICE have extended the bail of a man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after a fatal incident at a Hampshire takeaway.

Officers launched a murder probe last summer after Xiu Bin Wang was found at the China Chef restaurant, in the New Forest, on the afternoon of August 20.

A post-mortem examination into the death of the 33-year-old Chinese national, who lived at the establishment, in Brookley Road, Brockenhurst, concluded he died as a result of a head injury.

New Forest Post:

A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary confirmed a 34-year-old who was arrested on suspicion of murder and released on bail pending further enquiries has had his bail extended until May 20.

Speaking at the time, the police force said: “Investigations are ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding the death.

“Officers are in ongoing contact with the Chinese Embassy.”

Brockenhurst councillor Maureen Holding added: “It was a terrific shock because no-one expected anything like that to happen here. We had never seen so many police in Brockenhurst.”

Cllr Holding, a former chairman of New Forest District Council, said the takeaway had been open for about ten years.

New Forest Post:

She added: “The people who run it are very nice to say ‘hello’ to but no-one in the village seems to know them. The reaction to what’s happened is total shock and great sadness.”

Witnesses said several police officers and paramedics ran inside a flat above the takeaway and the area outside the property was cordoned off, while a forensics team was seen searching bins at the back of the property.

A villager who works in Brookley Road but did not want to be named, described seeing a man with blood on him being led away by police and put into an ambulance.

An inquest into the death of Xiu Bin Wang had been due to take place yesterday at Winchester Coroner’s Court, but has been postponed as a result of the ongoing criminal investigation.

Winchester Coroner’s Court has confirmed a future date has not yet been set for the inquest for that reason.