TWO people were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a one-month-old baby was found “seriously unwell” at a Hampshire flat.

Neighbours said the infant was rushed to hospital and put on a life support machine following an incident at a three-storey block in Knightwood Road, Hythe.

The flat at the centre of the investigation is occupied by a woman, her daughter and a set of twins born last month.

Last night a police spokesman said: “We were called at 9.38am on Saturday by the ambulance service, who reported they were dealing with a one-month-old baby boy who was seriously unwell.

“The air ambulance was called but the baby was taken to Southampton General Hospital by road.

“A 41-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. They have been released from custody but remain under investigation.”

New Forest Post:

Police activity centred on a ground floor flat at the block.

A woman living nearby said: “Someone I spoke to Saturday said an air ambulance had been in the area. Later on I saw a first responder vehicle and four police cars.

“The police were here 24/7 over the weekend and didn’t leave until Monday evening.

“A woman lives in the flat with her three-year-old daughter and a set of twins who were born around Christmas time. I’ve heard one of the twins is in intensive care.

“The police asked me if I’d heard anything on Friday night but I didn’t see or hear anything out of the ordinary.”

A neighbour added: “The police were everywhere. They carried out door-to-door inquiries in the area regarding a baby who was seriously ill. It’s very sad.”

Another Knightwood Road resident said the infant was taken to hospital and put on a life support machine.

She added: “I don’t want to live here any more. You hear about these things on the news but when it happens on your own doorstep it really brings it home.”

New Forest Post:

The flats occupy a site between Knightwood Road and Burnett Close, named after a New Forest councillor who died several years ago.

A woman living in nearby Deerleap Way said: “I was cleaning on Saturday when I heard a helicopter. When I looked out I noticed two ambulances and five police cars. I couldn’t see what was actually going on but it was quite concerning.”

A postman said he attempted to deliver letters to the flat on Monday but was turned away by police.

A South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) sent a co-responder, a rapid response vehicle, an ambulance and the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.

But a SCAS spokesman declined to release any further details, referring all enquiries to Hampshire police.