IT SOUNDS like a scene from a Hollywood blockbuster featuring the latest superhero.

But a real-life drama which unfolded in a Hampshire city saw two police officers save a man's life by lifting a bus and pulling him out from under the vehicle.

PC Keeka Way and Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) Neil Parker used their first aid skills and super-human strength to prevent a tragedy.

The dynamic duo are among a group of police officers to be recognised for their bravery and ingenuity.

Chief Constable Olivia Pinkney presented them with accolades from the Royal Humane Society as well as Chief Constable Congratulations and Commendations.

She said: “We work every day to protect the public but these officers and members of staff have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

“Our officers often find themselves first at a scene and if they didn’t act quickly, doing everything they can to save lives despite not being medical experts, lives would be lost."

The Winchester incident occurred in December 2016.

PCSO Neil Parker and PC Way, then a PCSO herself, found themselves at the centre of a life-or-death drama at Silver Hill.

They heard screams and found a man trapped under a bus, with only his head visible.

As PCSO Way and a nurse tried in vain to find a pulse, PCSO Parker got everyone off the bus and away from the scene, giving the others room to treat the casualty.

Knowing the only way to save his life was to release him as quickly as possible PCSO Parker persuaded a few volunteers to grab the side of the bus.

PCSO Way shouted "lift" before she and the nurse pulled the casualty clear seconds later.

The man suffered serious injuries but survived thanks to the actions of the two officers and those who helped them perform the rescue.

At the ceremony the now PC Way was awarded the Royal Humane Society Testimonial in Vellum and PSCO Neil Parker received a Chief Constable’s Certificate of Congratulations.

Other recipients included Lyndhurst-based PC Jo Ford, who risked her own life by going to the aid of a man lying injured on the side of a busy motorway.

PC Ford was driving along the M27 in June last year when she saw three men fighting in the carriageway.

After pulling over she found one of them had serious head injuries and was struggling to breathe. He then suffered a seizure, making it difficult for the officer to hold him in the recovery position.

Fortunately nurse Gill Martin came running along the hard shoulder to help the officer.

PC Ford was awarded the Royal Humane Society testimonial in Vellum and Ms Martin received the Royal Humane Society Certificate in Parchment.

Lyndhurst-based PC Jonathan York was also assisted by a member of the public during an incident at a gym at Newlands Road, Blackfield, in April last year.

A man found slumped over a rowing machine had stopped breathing and had no pulse.

His friend, Nigel Rasey, was performing CPR when PC York arrived and took over. By the time the ambulance got there the casualty had started breathing again. Paramedics said PC York's “magic touch” had saved the man’s life.

He and Mr Rasey were both awarded the Royal Humane Society Certificate of Resuscitation.

Two members of Hampshire Constabulary's dog section, PC Andrew Gamblin and PC Neal Skinner, did everything they could in a potentially hazardous situation to save a life.

PC Gamblin and PC Skinner were first on the scene following reports that a man needed medical help in a field near Alton.

They quickly assessed the situation and donned protective equipment from their first aid kit, enabling them to safely perform CPR.

A police spokesman said: "Under particularly difficult circumstances the pair continued to give CPR for almost half an hour until paramedics arrived.

"Sadly the man was pronounced dead.

"Despite the outcome, the officers' calm and methodical approach had given him the best possible chance of survival. Throughout this incident they both demonstrated exceptional professionalism and commitment."

PC Skinner and PC Gamblin were awarded a Royal Humane Society Certificate of Commendation.

Aldershot-based PC Christopher Weir saved a newborn baby's life after the infant stopped breathing at the family home in May last year.

PC Weir and a colleague, PC Hill, arrived at the house to find the parents holding their three-day-old child, who had turned blue.

PC Weir immediately performed life-saving first aid, clearing the baby’s airway. At the same time PC Hill helped by relaying extensive instructions from a qualified neo-natal first aid police staff controller who was on the other end of the phone.

PC Weir was awarded the Royal Humane Society Certificate of Resuscitation.

Two officers based in Basingstoke, PC Katie McGloin and PC Ian Castle, responded to reports that a man was hanging from a branch after jumping from a tree.

PC McGloin scrambled 15ft up the tree to cut the man free.

PC Castle managed to break the man’s fall, safely lowering him to the ground. The two officers then started CPR, taking it in turns until the ambulance arrived.

They were both awarded the Royal Humane Society Certificate of Resuscitation.

PC Malcolm Long and a colleague found a man with a neck injury in Woodland Street, Portsmouth, in October 2016.

The casualty was bleeding so heavily that multiple bandages failed to stem the flow. With time running out PC Long pushed his finger into the wound to prevent him bleeding to death. He was awarded the Royal Humane Society Certificate of Commendation.

Jamie Christian, a member of Fratton CID, was on his way to work when he saw a woman fall from a bridge on the M27.

The police spokesman said: "Despite being in the middle of a motorway during the morning rush-hour Jamie dealt with the situation calmly and succinctly, doing everything he could to care for those involved. Sadly the woman died.

"When it was all over Jamie continued on his way to work. His actions that day have been described as 'phenomenal'."

He has been presented with a Chief Constable Congratulations.

Detective Constable Anne Keir and Martin Drysdale, a member of police staff, were at a wake following the funeral of a mutual friend when two bar staff were assaulted by a man trained in martial arts.

Despite the danger, and knowing she was without any of her personal safety equipment, Det Con Keir went outside with her companion to make an arrest.

Martin was punched in the face but the pair were able to handcuff the suspect.

"They demonstrated total professionalism and bravery, putting themselves in harm’s way to protect the public," said the spokesman.

The pair were awarded a Chief Constable Commendation.

Special Constable Paul Wheeler was a tower of support for a woman whose husband had stopped breathing.

Paul pulled over after seeing the woman in distress at the side of the road in March last year. He lifted the man out of the car so he could start chest compressions and once paramedics arrived did what he could to comfort the woman.

The spokesman said: "Despite his quick intervention the man did not survive but the woman wanted Paul recognised for his rapid response and continued care."

Paul was awarded the Royal Humane Society Certificate of Resuscitation.

John Apter, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, who attended the ceremony, said: "I'm incredibly proud of my colleagues.

"Their professionalism, bravery and dedication is typical of them and they deserve all the praise they receive."


t: 023 8042 4503

e: chris.yandell@