AN elderly Hampshire couple evacuated their home this evening after a chimney fire.

The blaze broke out at a property in Park Road, New Milton, just before 7pm.

The fire was contained within a woodburner but a plastic candle on top of the stove melted in the heat.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the elderly occupiers were advised to leave the property because of the smoke. They were unhurt and are thought to have returned to the property once it had been ventilated.

Two crews from New Milton fire station dealt with the incident.