The Daily Echo looks back at some of the weird and wonderful facts and traditions of Hampshire.

From brickmaking to bell ringing - did you know about these occurrences?

Brick making was big business in Chandler’s Ford

A staggering total of 35 million were made in Chandler’s Ford for the building of the Law Courts in London, which opened in 1882.

The manufacturer was Joseph Bull, whose statue is in the Law Courts quadrangle.

The Houses of Parliament in Cape Town were also constructed of bricks from Chandler’s Ford.

New Forest Post:

Chandler’s Ford Brickworks consisted of more than half a dozen yards that began manufacturing bricks in the 1870s.

The location was perfect as clay was readily available nearby and the railway meant they could be transported across the nation quickly and easily.

A great deal of both Southampton and Eastleigh were built with bricks made in Chandler’s Ford.

New Forest Post:

Bursledon once held a parade and celebrations after first wheat harvest

There was a time when most Hampshire villages celebrated their own, unique customs – and Bursledon was no exception.

Here local farmers, after thrashing the first wheat of the season, took it to the mill with their horses decorated with scarlet rosettes while sets of bells were attached to the bridle.

The event also included football, cricket and tug o’ war.

New Forest Post:

Twyford bell ringers enjoy an annual feast and bell ringing

The bell-ringers of Twyford are treated to an annual feast that is held every year on October 7.

Money for the dinner was left in the will of local resident William Davis who was saved from riding into a deep chalk pit by hearing the sound of Twyford Church bells.

As the bells rang out, he realised he was heading in the wrong direction and managed to stop before falling down the quarry and facing almost certain death.

New Forest Post:

As well as providing money for the feast, William specified in his will that the bells should ring twice on the special day – once before 9.30am and once around 7pm.

The funds ran out many years ago but the tradition remains to this day - although the exact timings of the bell ringing depend on the ringers themselves.

New Forest Post:

Royal Yacht Squadron has headquarters in Hampshire

The Royal Yacht Squadron, with its imposing Isle of Wight headquarters in Cowes, is one of the world’s most exclusive clubs.

The club was founded on June 1, 1815, by 42 yacht owners and was named the Yacht Club. The club was for gentlemen interested in sea yachting and the original members met in Cowes and London twice a year to discuss yachting while dining.

Membership was exclusive to those who owned a vessel greater than 10 tons.

New Forest Post:

The Prince Regent was welcomed as a member in 1817. In 1820, when the prince became George IV, it was renamed the Royal Yacht Club.

The club's annual regatta - now known as Cowes Week - introduced racing and in 1833, William IV renamed the club The Royal Yacht Squadron.

New Forest Post:

Southampton was home to the mysterious Gentleman Pieman

About 180 years ago a baker who called himself the Gentleman Pieman worked in Southampton for a short time.

He wore a white cap and the clean white dress and apron of a cook and sold “small but exquisitely made pies’’ for a penny each.

Despite doing a roaring trade the baker disappeared as suddenly as he arrived.

No one knew his real name, where he had come from or where he went when he left.